Am I missing someth...

Notifications
Clear all

Am I missing something in my work flow?

bob_modrow
(@bob_modrow)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

So first I have not had a lot of time to REALLY learn/use SimplyColor3D - Yet I'm still struggling to make quality color cut models.

I'm working on a relatively "simple" model with crisp lines (even though it is has a high mesh density). First I scaled up the model 4x to get around the large 0.10 cutting limitation (I print with 0.10 layers).

After importing the file, I used the bucket tool, bucket tool with by paint brush and then the paint brush. This took over an hour. (FYI: I can "select" the same regions in about 10 minutes in meshmixer but it doesn't have a cut depth option when splitting complexes).

Upon cutting by color and importing into Cura, merging and scaling back to 25%,  I discover: I STILL missed painting a bunch of tiny random triangles on the surface (which will ruin a dual color print) and I have weird missing cut layers throughout both color STL files.

Obviously SimplyColor3D is still new, but I'm not sure if I'm missing an important step/concept. I really wanted to 2color FDM print complex figures. Yet I can't finish "simple" models yet.

FYI: I had the same issues with some of the preloaded models - I looks like I painted everything properly - yet there were a bunch of random triangles missed.

Anyone have some tips to improve my workflow and get proper/complete color separation for PRINTING?

bob_modrow
(@bob_modrow)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Cura color blobs

ReplyQuote
bob_modrow
(@bob_modrow)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

weird cut lines

ReplyQuote
bob_modrow
(@bob_modrow)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Basic 40mm cube with a 20mm cut and bump out 4mm tall/deep.

Still get weird layers missing.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@bob_modrow

Will you please attach the original model OBJ. the exported OBJ & PNG texture from SimplyColor3D, and the split result?

ReplyQuote
Share: