[Solved] Horizontal gaps in the middle of split objects

28 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@steve

Attached is a screenshot of the model in prusaslicer after slicing showing that there are no gaps. I included the entire screen so you can see the settings and prusaslicer version.

ReplyQuote
Steve L
(@steve)
Topic starter  

Odd that these "discolorations" are exactly where the print has gaps.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@steve

Will you please send me the exported PrusaSlicer project? Then I can check the difference and see if the gaps are created on my comp.

ReplyQuote
Steve L
(@steve)
Topic starter  

Here you go.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@steve

Attached is a side-by-side of the discoloration vs the 'gaps' and it shows that they are not in the same position.
Also, these 'gaps' are not the same as the image you initally sent in this thread. The initial issue was showing missing layers. Those missing layers were caused because the model was rotated after it was loaded into prusa slicer.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@Steve

The most recent image you sent is a different defect that is not a full missing layer, instead it's like a pattern surface defect. It's probably caused by slicing the model at a different layer thickness than it was split at. Please make sure you slice the model at .3 mm because that is the layer thickness used in SimplyColor3D to split the model.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@steve

I was able to reproduce the issue here. The issue of surface defects is caused by the layer thickness being set to .2 but the model was split in SimplyColor3D at a layer thickness of .3

It is this missmatch that has cause the defects.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@Steve

By changing the layer thickness to .3 in that prusa slicer project the defect is eliminated and the surface is now perfect.

ReplyQuote
Steve L
(@steve)
Topic starter  

OK, thanks. I may not print this again, unless my in-progress print fails (sliced with CANVAS). I will keep this in mind for the future. .3mm is not a standard layer height - users should be warned about that.

Is it possible to load a file-saved project? I didn't spot an interface for that.

ReplyQuote
jdmilla1
(@jdmilla1)

Slices perfectly for me in Slic3r. Nice painting there @steve. Very crisp color separation.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Supreme moderator Admin

@steve

By "file-saved project" do you mean a PrusaSlicer exported project in 3mf format? Like to go from PrusaSlicer back into SimplyColor3D? No that is not possible. If you need to change the layer thickness then simply re-split at the new thickness in SimplyColor3D and drop the SimplyColor3D exported 3mf file into the existing PrusaSlicer project, the colors and settings will be automatically mapped to the new file. the only thing that will be lost are custom PrusaSlicer supports.

ReplyQuote
jdmilla1
(@jdmilla1)

I just save the initial model and texture file to disk from the spaceship menu. Then I just update the texture file as I paint. These can be loaded in another browser.

BigBrain3D reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve L
(@steve)
Topic starter  

No - I meant the model and texture file, as @jdmilla1 suggests. I can download this from the gallery but had not seen how to load this in another browser.

BigBrain3D reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: