Simply3D has a lot of issues  

RSS

rbish
(@rbish)
Active Member Customer
03/12/2019 6:24 am  

Wow- I decided to take the plunge and buy Simply3D, as I love ingenuity and forward thinking.  I'm now wondering when will this product become useful?  Here are some of my issues:

1)  Painting is simply put- painful.  It can take HOURS of painstaking movement of the mouse to paint even the simplest things and not have them look terrible.  Where are regions, and face angle thresholds, and region angle thresholds?  You guys obviously have a Palette 2 - have you tried painting with Canvas lately?  It is SO SO SO much easier to work with Canvas right now.

2)  No undo.  If I paint and make a mistake, there is no UNDO.  Epic fail, as that is a must.

3)  No object manipulation.  No scaling, no rotate on any axis, no object duplication.  This is rudimentary functionality that is sorely needed.

4)  Painting also will frequently paint something WAY far away from the mouse pointer, for no reason.  I have checked the integrity of my model with Meshmixer, and there are no issues.

5)  Dropper pick a color- simply doesn't work at all.  Also really makes working with this hproduct hard.

That's just the painting portion of Simply3D.  I won't even get into the slicing portion, as that seems to also be a mess.  No matter how nice my color transitions, they look really ratty after slicing.  And there are other things that are missing in the slicer... many to be honest.

I also fear there is no development going on with this product.  If there is, is there a roadmap?  Is there any indication of what you are working on?  Is there anybody out there listening? (one of my previous posts seems to have been completely ignored)

I'd love to see this product move forward, but right now I'm not inspired at all.  I do like the Purge Mechanism, but right now that too is useless as I simply don't have the energy to fight all these issues and create something that I can print.

BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Member Admin
03/12/2019 2:59 pm  

Hi Rbish,

1) Using a mouse is very painful in any painting program. We cannot make mouse movements more precise, and for that reason we recommend a drawing tablet. It makes a world of difference.  That's why everybody in the 3D design community uses them. We are aware of how canvas works. there is a fundamental difference between the 2 programs. Canvas will never be able to paint freestyle. They can only ever paint in triangles and they will never export textures so there will never be interoperability between external applications like blender or 3DS. SimplyColor3D on the other hand is interoperable by nature. A user can put color anywhere on the model without restriction to the base geometry. The texture can be exported and modified in external programs and imported from external programs. So we started with the thing that makes us different, so that our development future is unlimited. We can always improve and add similar features over time, there are no limitations because of the fundamental base design of the application. It is however in it's first year of life. Development takes time and money. In no way have we misrepresented the functionality of the application. We show pictures and videos of work we have done with the exact application you have access to. It takes time to learn a skill. It's taken us time and effort to learn that skill too. But now painting models is much easier and takes little time. There is also the matter of acclimating to a new environment, new interface, new keys and short cuts, 3D rotation that may be unfamiliar. But It's worth the effort. Like anything else, it does get easier to use the application as you get used to it.

2)That's correct, there is no undo/redo. It's very easy to save the texture in chrome. So the current work around is to make frequent saves and reload if you a mistake. Undo/redo is on the development short list.

3) That is correct there are no transforms. This is not the focus of the application. It will be added later but it's extremely easy to use other existing and free applications to do those transforms prior to importing into SimplyColor3D, like meshmixer, so we don't feel that it's a good use of our limited resources (time and money) to start with features that other application have in spades and would provide no additional advantage to the community. Instead we started with the thing that makes the application different -> painting anywhere. Like most 3D printer owners we have a myriad of applications that we use. Doing transforms in a different application is a minor annoyance. For this reason transforms are on the long-term dev list.

4) This can happen. Sometimes better painting (re: smoother and more accurate) results can be achieve by unwrapping the model in Blender before importing into SC3D. The instructions are in the google doc and are very easy to follow.

5)The color dropper works flawlessly. Make sure use hold the left shift key, and while you hold the left shift key, put the pointer on the color you want to 'pick', and press the left mouse button. Yes color picking makes the whole process a million times better. And it's also a feature of SC3D that is not in ANY other painting program. The color picker is special, as is the brush, because they only paint & pick solid colors. This is important because FDM printers cannot print gradients.

6) The road map is simple - Fill by region, undo/redo, Support material. These are being worked on by 2 different developers and will take approx. 3 months to finish. Once they're ready, and the community tests them, we will get feedback and plan what is next.

7) You can easily see our responses to forum posts from the main forum page, so yes, we are 'out there listening'. We'll respond to you unanswered post next (as we have done to many of your other posts). The idea behind the forum is that it's not only us that can help or respond to posts, but everyone in the community. The community is small, but growing, and full of helpful Makers. However, if you have an urgent request please feel free to email us directly: info@bigbrain3d.com

8) The Retractable Purge Mechanism also works with other slicers. Perhaps you could try a print with that and Slic3r PE? Then come back to SimplyColor3D a little later. Having little wins can reduce frustration.

Regards,

BigBrain3D

ReplyQuote
rbish
(@rbish)
Active Member Customer
04/12/2019 10:47 pm  

Thank you for the very detailed and honest reply.  I didn't realize your painting algorithms were so different than what we have seen in other products.  I probably was harsh in my original post, only because so little detail of your progress was available.  I will continue to stay posted and watch your progress onward.  Again, thanks for the informative reply to all of my questions- kudos and respect has been restored.

ReplyQuote
BigBrain3D
(@bigbrain3d)
Member Admin
05/12/2019 6:06 pm  

@rbish

You're welcome. And thank you for being honest with us. It didn't hurt our feelings 😉

We know it's not perfect yet but we are passionate about this because it's our creation and we are committed to making it the best, most user friendly, painting application possible.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register